Monday, April 13, 2009

A Pause to Consider Menopause

I need a place to record my thoughts and experiences and, despite the personal nature of my journey, I think this may be a good place to do it. Other women have no doubt had similar experiences and may relate, or even have some wisdom to share.

As I write this I am 57+ years old and have been experiencing the symptoms of menopause for the last 7 years. At first it was just hot flashes or night sweats which were not too bothersome until I met and married my husband in 2003. When there is someone else in the bed with you it is easier to notice the "turned up heat" and the excess sweating, some of which is no doubt caused by there being someone else in the bed with me. As time went on I noticed my memory slipping as I often search for words that are just on the tip of my tongue. Sleeping through the night uninterrupted is only a fond memory. I think I am a lot more irritable than I used to be, some of which I'm sure is warranted with a teenager turned college student in the house. But the short fuse is hard on my husband as well.

Of course I went to my doctor (2003) and was given a prescription for estrogen and progesterone tablets (made from mare's urine, I later learned). But they made me feel better and that was all I cared about at the time. In 2005 I had a cyst on one of my ovaries so, at the advice of my doctor, I had both ovaries removed, leaving the uterus. By then I was concerned about the pills I was taking for Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). My gynecologist put me on Climara Pro, a combined estrogen/progesterone once weekly patch. I have been on and off this same patch from then until today, nearly 4 years.

I have not been comfortable with this solution for at least a couple of years, but like many women I'm sure, I just put up with it thinking that there was probably not a better solution and anyway there were so many other people to take care of in my life. It was just never my turn to take care of myself. Lately I've been unemployed and watch some TV. More and more women are talking about taking care of themselves as a priority and it is inspiring. I heard about new solutions for improving my life after menopause and I wanted to know it it could be a possibility for me. So I looked up my medical insurance provider directory and found one woman doctor with her own Women's Center in Bellevue where I live. Her website was interesting and seemed to promise a different approach that included both lifestyle and hormone recommendations. I procured the needed referral and booked my first appointment.

Today I met Dr. Avandano for the first time. She was amazing, knowledgeable, funny, opinionated and so enthusiastic about the subject of menopause. She had my file in front of her with notes she had already made and seemed genuinely excited to talk to me, absolutely certain that she was going to make a difference in my life. My husband Al came with me and I'm sure glad he did. I can't imagine having to explain all that she told me in the 45 minutes or so she spent with me.

I will write more about details as time goes along. The end result was that she gave me a topical estrogen spray that I am to begin using tomorrow. Over the next 6 weeks I will try different levels of dosing to determine the best dose for me. She also asked me to take 1 tsp baking soda in a glass of water before bed to reduce the irritation on my bladder, hoping to reduce the number of times I wake up at night.

I feel better already knowing I have a plan.

1 comment:

Alfex said...

This is an amazing journal of your experience with menopause so far. Keep posting.